If you are curious as to how Kansas statute of limitations affects you, watch this video: Statute of Limitations Video

Kansas Statutes of Limitations

What is the statute of limitations for your legal rights in Kansas?

Kansas Statute of Limitation

Statute of Limitation Laws in Kansas

Kansas State SealIn order to convict you of an offense or sue you for monetary gain, your crime, tort or contractual agreement must fall within a certain time-line allowed by law. An Kansas law on statute of limitations is simply that time which is allotted by the law as written by the state of Kansas within which you can be convicted or held liable for a debt.

Below is the Kansas statute of limitations listings for a number of different offenses and torts. While this list is updated regularly, often-times laws in every state get modified, repealed, amended or changed by legislation. Please consult with a qualified Kansas attorney in this and any other legal matter.

We have found a service where you can ask your legal question for free and get responses only from qualified Kansas lawyers in that particular field. The form below will help you get started by simply entering your KS zip code to find a Kansas state criminal defense, or civil lawyer near you.

Post Your Legal Question For Free to a Qualified Attorney
Justice Scales

Enter Your Zip Code To Find a Lawyer Near You:


Type of Offense Length of Statute
Any Capital Offense:No Limit
Drug trafficking:5 Years
Forgery (felony):5 Years
Counterfeiting(felony):5 Years
Rape:5 Years
Contracts:5 Years
Injury to personal property:6 Years
Oral Agreements:3 Years
Judgments Foreign | Domestic:5 Years
Open accounts for debt collections:3 Years
Wrongful Death:2 Years
Medical Malpractice Actions:The statute of limitations in the state of Kansas requires that a medical malpractice suit be filed within two (2) years of the date of the injury. If the injury was not immediately discovered, the patient has 4 years to file a claim. In the case of a minor who is injured due to medical malpractice, they have 1 year after their 18th birthday, but not more than 8 years from the time the injury occurred. If the medical malpractice resulted in a wrongful death, a suit must be filed within 4 years of the initial injury.
Code Section § 60-513(a)(7) and (c)
Fraud:2 years from when the fraud was or reasonably should have been discovered.
Intentional Torts:1 Year
Libel | Slander | Defamation:1 Year
Personal Injury Actions:2 years from the date of injury
Rules for Minors:Limitation period begins to run on the minors 18th birthday, except in cases of medical malpractice or wrongful death
Products Liability Actions:Within 2 years of the date the injury occurred.
Complete Kansas criminal revised statute of limitations can be found on the Kansas Criminal Statute of Limitations page.
Disclaimer: Statute of Limitation laws in every state get modified, repealed, amended, and/or changed by the legislature of that states jurisdiction. The authors and webmaster of StatuteofLimitation.info have made every effort to post the most current laws. Please use this site as a general reference and for comparison purposes. Do not substitute any information from this site for advice you would get from a qualified legal professional

Kansas Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

In order for an Kansas debt collector or debt buyer to sue you to collect a debt they have to do that within the time limits that the state of Kansas law requires. This is what is known as the statute of limitations. If they sue you outside of that statute of limitations then that may violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Even threatening to sue you beyond the statute of limitations can also be considered a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) violation.

If you are dealing with an unscrupulous Kansas debt collector that is threatening you with a lawsuit, whether verbal or written, for an old debt, then you need to look at the Kansas statute of limitations if that debt collector has a potential case against you or has potentially violated the FDCP Act.

Find Lawyer